Saturday, October 23, 2010

NY DOES include the OTHER boroughs too...

Seeing as how I LIVE in Brooklyn, I figured I needed to represent and write a post about one of my BK nights.  Just like Manhattan, I also have some of my favorite spots in Brooklyn.  One of my favorite neighborhoods in BK is Fort Greene.  I work around there and go to the many restaurants and bars there often.
Now, I must admit, this night went from being a very quiet peaceful night to a little bit crazy.  I'll try to just hit the main details.  It started out at Night of the Cookers.  I went there because I was craving their catfish fingers - SOOO good (always about food isn't it).  I ended up bringing my script that I was working on, to the bar.  So, while I was busy studying my lines, the polite Southern gentleman next to me inquired if I was an actress...hee hee.  I love that question, because although I earn my living as a speech-language pathologist, I do also act, just not like an ACTOR actor, so I never know what to say.  I just told him the truth, I host a show on BK cable.  That was easy.  From there, we had a really great conversation about acting, and hosting and education and then about his job and being from the South and visiting NY.  I found out early on that he had a wife and kid.  Here's one of the beauties about going out by yourself...it really is not all about trying to "get a number".  It can just be about meeting cool people.  Come to find out, he was there with his cousin whom he hadn't seen in 14 years and they reconnected on Facebook (gotta love Facebook).  It was a Thursday night, but I didn't work the next day.  So, as I was leaving, they asked if I knew of any other places to hang out on a Thursday in Fort Greene...Moe's!  Off the three of us went to Moes.  There, we just had a couple of drinks and, me being the ultimate romantic in my old age, I asked about how they met their wives :-)  Awwwww!  I'm a sucker for a good love story; even a crappy love story.  Two hours later, we exchanged FB names and left each other at the crossroads of Fulton and Lafayette.  There is actually a bit more to this night; let's just say I ended up meeting the owner of another restaurant located along Fulton, he was nice/normal at first, then turned out to be not-so-nice, then I met a fellow Hamptonian (yes, I went to Hampton University) who "saved" me from the crazy owner.  All in all, it was a crazy night that probably could've ended earlier than it did, but then I never would've met my fellow Hamptonian:-)
The funny thing about dating yourself, is that sometimes you kind of forget that others may see you as the connotation of "single in your 30s".  Sometimes I'm just Megan-Brette, single woman wanting to enjoy the company and conversation of others; who happens to be in her 30s.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just stumbled across your blog, and I really enjoy reading it! I hope you write more! I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just read your comment, didn't think anyone but my mom read this:) Thank you - Sadly, once a month is even hard for me, I'm going to make an effort to do better now that I see someone BESIDES my mom is reading...:)

    ReplyDelete