Sunday, September 12, 2010

Using Your Friends...

Well, because I DO live in NY, I have all of these friends who are into the arts as professions like, actors, and singers, and writers, and artists etc.  Therefore, there is usually someone performing, or reading, or exhibiting SOMETHING that I like to attend.  Now, I realize it is fun to go out with a friend or even your "girls" to these types of events.  But, I like to attend them by myself sometimes and...make it a date:-)

Most recently I attended my friend's singing party (He's actually my brother's good friend from elementary school - but I claim him as well).  He's a singer in NY and was performing at a famous restaurant in Midtown.  I was invited to come listen and support and of course I decided to use the opportunity as a date night.

So I got dressed up, pretty cute, not too fancy, and went to midtown to listen and support.  What I love about these nights is that they are cultural, always seem to have an interesting group of people there, and it's just a very easy way to socialize and network (if you so choose).  Oh yeah, and you get to see a friend you normally haven't seen in a while because they've been too busy working on their craft!! - I digress (what a surprise!).

I went and felt very inspired while I was there. He was/is amazing and the songs he sang made me want to come home and practice singing myself - in the shower of course - my voice is NOT angelic!  He and I were able to talk for a few minutes, which was fine, because it was HIS night.  His manager swept him from one important person to the next.  I was glad he saw me and that I was able to share a few moments.   To make the night even more pleasurable, I saw another friend there from elementary school.  I hadn't seen her since...5th grade?!!! It was good to catch up and talk about our lives, past and present.  So, I was able to do 3 of my favorite things; eat, have a glass of wine, and engage in a good conversation.

After I left the restaurant, I was on my way back to the train when a wine bar caught my attention; I think it was the fact that there was a "wine bar" in midtown on 8th ave btw 44th and 45th street - Lybane.  I went in and had the best of my 3 favorite things ALL over again.  I drank a glass of white, had an amazing Pita Pizza (for only $5) and a 3 hour conversation with the Albanian bartender.  During those 3 hours, I met quite a few interesting people, one of which was an Albanian professional dancer.
I got back on the train, happy, satisfied with another NY date night:-)
So when your friends are having a show or exhibit or viewing or whatever it may be, USE the event to make it a date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment