Monday, August 23, 2010

Lincoln Center Memories with Lil Benny


Me and 3 incredibly fun new friends - if only for the night.

I wanted to write about one of my favorite date nights in NY.  I ended up meeting 3 amazing women, a famous musician, and having the time of my life.
I love that in NY there are so many cultural events you can go to for free, or for a pretty inexpensive cost. Yes, there are many cultural events to attend that will cost you an arm and a leg, but remember, I'm dating myself, and sometimes I can be cheap.
Anyhow, I am from Silver Spring, MD and if you know anything about that area, then you should know about Go-Go music.  If not, well, it is a genre of music that is very near and dear to my heart.  Mostly people from MD, D.C., or Northern VA know, understand and LOVE it, like myself.  I saw that the Godfather of Go-Go, Chuck Brown, was going to be playing at Lincoln Center (this was two summers ago).  I quickly bought a ticket and figured out what cute dress I wanted to wear.  I knew I was going to be dancing the night away so I had to be comfortable, but of course, when dating yourself, must look cute (my opinion of course).
I showed up at Lincoln Center at 6:30 and went inside the dance area.  The music was playing and I immediately just felt my heart smile.  You see, this music is also very nostalgic for me.  It reminds of my youth and especially of my trips home from college with my brothers.  The second we were able to get Go-Go music on the radio we KNEW we weren't far from home.   I began dancing and within an hour I had met Keisha, Nya, and Deandra - all from the DMV (D.C., MD, VA) area - so they completely "got" me and my love for Chuck.
Then, a little bit later a guy tried to be slick and started dancing with me while my back was turned.  He kept saying, "Go ahead girl in white!! - work it!" I turned around.  I was nice.  He asked me my name. "Megan."  "And yours?" "Benny."  "Nice to meet you Benny."  And I turned back around.  Then it HIT me - AAAGGHHH!!! It's Lil' Benny from Lil' Benny and the Masters!!! (Yes another Go-Go group from the area).  I turned back around and explained how I knew who he was and I loved his music especially "Cat in the Hat", and I loved his voice, and...yeah, I talked for a bit.  We had the best time dancing (even when he stepped on my toenail - ouch!).
So then he had to go back on stage to perform with Chuck.  And that's when it happened...MY name was yelled at a concert:-)  He kept saying, "Come on Megan!  Work it!! You're looking good Megan, I see you!!"  Glad I looked cute:-)
Later that night, when the concert was over, I met with Benny, we talked, we took a picture, I gave him my card and we parted.  Now here's the beautiful part, the next summer I saw him again at another Chuck Brown concert.  I assumed he wouldn't remember me.  Wouldn't you know it, he went in his trailer and pulled out a wrinkled old  card with my name on it (he kept it:-)  from his wallet.  He remembered what I did for a living and everything.
I share this date story to show how amazing of a time you can have by yourself and how you can meet some amazing people as well.

Lil Benny died earlier this year.  I will miss his voice and his talent, but mostly I will miss being his dance partner.
Lil Benny and me, "the girl in white".


1 comment: